Saturday, July 14, 2007

My life in threes

Anyone who knows me might say I have lived a thousand lives in one lifetime. That I have done more in 5 years than most have in their whole lives. This is absolutely true. Every day it forever amazes me te crazy stuff that happens and I find myself laughing aloud at the irony of it as well as the complete ridiculousness of our life lessons we challenge ourselves with every day.

It is funny how things have gone full circle for me too. One minute I am lost and need help and the next I am giving help. I am pretty darn good at giving advice now and still the MASTER of not taking it. Which is really too bad because boy do I give great advice!

One of my wonderful pieces of advice is to ask yourself 3 questions every month. What makes me happy? What is my biggest contribution to this life? And, what are the biggest lessons I have learned if I died tomorrow?

The greatest things about these questions as they force you to really look at where you are in your life. And, the answers ALWAYS change and that in itself is enlightening. If you have to stop and think about what makes you happy, then you have to ask yourself, what is making me unhappy? You would be surprised at how hard it was for me to answer that question for a long time. It seems like an easy question, but it isn't. But when the day comes that the answers come pouring out of you, when just 2 years ago you had to scramble for just one moment, then you can really take in account that accomplishment and it feels great!

Asking yourself what you have contributed is also difficult for some. For a while, I felt like a failure because if this question. I looked at my job, and how important but insignificant it was. I didn't really "help" anyone but other people making money. And that was a difficult thing to realize. But I did, and I took action to change it. Now, I have so many answers to that question. Yet just another validation to my personal growth. Man, have I come a long way.

Finally, the lessons I have learned....well that is easy now. Choose your battles, know when to eat crow, and do something for someone that they can't do for themselves. That last one I just added after marrying Brian. That is the one thing Brian and I have contributed together by instilling that tradition into our new family. And that is the one thing that has brought us the most happiness in our lives.

When you learn how easy it is to make a difference in the lives of others and how that changes your life too, it seems like the possibilities are endless. And they truly are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my daughter, how proud am I!! love you, you wise old woman!!