Sunday, August 10, 2008

More on Cyberstalking

OHere is some interesting information on IP addresses. One thing people don't realize is that you can see where someone is emailing you from their IP address. So if you are getting emails even from yahoo and gmail accounts where you think you are safe, all you have to do it do a show header to get an IP then do a WHOIS trace. The most you can see is where they are as far as their country or state but it is helpful because you can report abuse as the info the WHOIS will give you is how to report abuse. Just forward the messages to the ABUSE@whatever.com. This is also helpful if you are getting emails from people and you think it is the same person, you can see if the location is the same. So the one thing you never want to do is respond to someone if you don't want them to see your IP. If I respond, it is because I don't care if they know it is me and what state I am, OR I want them to know. Generally when someone is hounding you to respond it is because they want your IP address. It has nothing to do with where you create the email only where you are when you send it. For instance, My uncle wanted to respond to these people and I had to translate for him so when I log into his account and send it, it is through my IP address even though he created it somewhere else. There is even ways to trace someone on blogs and in chats!! So my point of this is, if you don't want someone knowing where you are DON'T respond to harassing emails and DON'T post on blogs or chats. If you don't care, well then respond and post away!

1 comment:

EmailRevealer.com said...

Hi Dani
Th IP you see in a gmail email header is your own not the senders.
Gmail strios the senders IP from the header.
That doesn't mean you still can't ID a gmail. You just can't do it from the headers.
Ed